Is a picture worth a thousand words? We think so! Snap a digital photograph that answers this question: Why is Earth Day important to our planet?
The winning photographer will receive a digital camera, and the photo will be published in the April 17 Earth Day issue of TFK. Get details below, or ask your teacher.
• The contest is open to students ages 8 to 13.
• Contest judges will look for originality, creativity, photo composition and relevance to the Earth Day theme.
• Students should visit timeforkids.com/2015earthdaycontest and follow instructions to submit an original digital photo.
• Students must include their first name only; their e-mail address; a parent’s, teacher’s or guardian’s e-mail address (very important); a caption; the location in the photo; and the date when it was taken (must be between August 1, 2014, and March 23, 2015).
• Contest deadline: March 23, 2015
• The winner will receive a digital camera.
• All entries must follow the official rules for consideration. See contest details below.
TIME For Kids Earth Day Photo Contest:
Why Is Earth Day Important to Our Planet?
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. HOW TO ENTER: This contest begins 12:01 a.m. EST on January 30, 2015 and ends 11:59 p.m. EST on March 23, 2015. To enter online, visit timeforkids.com/photocontest and follow instructions to submit the following information: (a) an original and previously unpublished photograph that answers the Earth Day question “Why is Earth Day important to our planet?” and that was photographed by the Entrant between August 1, 2014, and March 23, 2015; photograph must be 300 dpi and 5 x 7 inches, and saved as a JPEG file; file sizes may not exceed 10 MB; (b) a caption describing the picture, what is happening, where the photo was taken, the date the photo was taken and why Entrant chose to enter this image; (c) Entrant’s first name only; Entrant’s e-mail address; and parent’s, teacher’s or guardian’s e-mail address. Limit one entry per person. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible or incomplete entries, or entries not received for any reason. Entries become sole property of Sponsor, and none will be acknowledged or returned. By entering, Entrant warrants that the entry (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, (2) has not been published in any medium and (3) has not won an award.
2. JUDGING: All entries will be judged by TIME For Kids magazine staff based on the following criteria: creativity & originality (50%); photo composition (25%); and appropriateness to contest theme (25%). In the event of a tie, an additional “tie-breaker” judge will determine the Winner from among all such tied entries using the judging criteria above. Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winner will be notified by e-mail, and must respond within five days, as described in Rule 5.
3. ELIGIBILITY: Open to residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are elementary school students ages 8–13 years at time of entry (“Entrant(s)”). Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor, its promotional partners and their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies (and members of their immediate families and/or those living in the same household of each such employee) are not eligible.
4. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE : Judges will select 10 Semifinalists from which one (1) Grand-Prize Winner and nine (9) Finalists will be chosen. The Grand-Prize Winner will receive a digital camera; approximate retail value: $300.00. The photograph entry of the Grand-Prize Winner will be published in a future issue of TIME For Kids. The photograph entries of all Semifinalists will be published in the gallery of timeforkids.com. All expenses not specified herein are the responsibility of the Winner. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. The prize is awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind.
5. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: No transfer, assignment or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this contest. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this contest. By entering, Entrant represents that any photo and other materials submitted as part of Entrant’s contest entry are original and will not constitute an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such photo and other materials. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to Sponsor a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant’s submitted photo, along with Entrant’s name, likeness, biographical information and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media, for possible editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner and Finalists, and their respective parents or legal guardians, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release and, where legally permissible, a publicity release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within five days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the photo and other materials submitted are original and have never been published, and entry has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate Winner or Finalist. Return of any prize/ prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate Winner or Finalist. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use Winner’s or Finalist’s name and/or likeness, biographical information, and/or photograph, for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants, Winners and Finalists agree to hold Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any Entrant, prize Winner, or Finalist, if any commits or has committed any act, or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence that the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, Entrant, Winner or Finalist to ridicule, scandal or contempt, or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after a Winner or Finalist has received notice of his or her prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest or in the announcement of the prize.
6. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for lost or late entries, nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction, or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computerhardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or Presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this contest, the Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select Winners from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the e-mail address. The “authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person to whom the e-mail address is assigned.
7. GOVERNING LAW: This contest is governed by the internal laws of the state of New York without regard to principals of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the city of New York, without recourse to class action suits.
8. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or an appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
9. WINNERS’ LIST: For names of the Winner and Finalists, log on to timeforkids.com after April 17, 2015; available for a period of 10 days.
10. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this contest is TIME For Kids, 135 W. 50th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, New York 10020.