Read the official rules for the TFK Kid Reporter Talent Search 2014 below. Then, click here to access the official entry form.
For a printable PDF of the rules and entry form, click here.
1. HOW TO ENTER: This contest begins 12:01 A.M. EST on March 7, 2014, and ends 11:59 P.M. EST on June 14, 2014. To enter, send your entry to TFK Kid Reporter Talent Search, TIME For Kids, P.O. Box 4817, New York, NY 10185-4817. The entry must include: (a) the completed and signed Official Entry Form, including your essay of 50 words or less and written in English explaining why you would be a good reporter for TFK; and (b) a news article written by you to demonstrate your reporting skills. Submit your news article on one side of a piece of 8½"x 11" paper or attach a copy of the published news article. Send us a news report based on interviews you've conducted and/or events you've covered.
It does not matter if the news article has been published or not. Use TIME For Kids articles in the magazine or on the website as models. Do NOT send an article in a Question and Answer (Q&A) format. The story should include a headline and quotes from people you've interviewed. Include any journalistic elements such as photos, editorial cartoons, charts, maps, and graphs if appropriate. Please do NOT send us any computer disks. Any disks received will not be evaluated as part of your entry.
Entries must be postmarked no later than June 14, 2014, and received no later than June 20, 2014. You do not have to be a TIME For Kids subscriber to enter. Limit one entry per person. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, postage due mail or entries not received for any reason. Entries become sole property of Sponsor and none will be acknowledged or returned. By entering, you warrant that the entry is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party.
2. JUDGING: All entries will be judged by TFK Editors based equally on the following criteria: creativity, originality, grammar and spelling, clarity, and newsworthiness. The judges will choose 20 finalists and then choose 10 Winners who will become TFK Kid Reporters. In the event of a tie, an additional "tie-breaker" judge will determine the Winner from among all such tied entries using the judging criteria above. Sponsor reserves the right to choose fewer than 10 Winner(s) if, in Sponsor's sole discretion, an insufficient number of eligible and/or qualified entries are received. Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winner will be notified by telephone and mail.
3. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States of America and the District of Columbia who are 13 years or younger as of September 1, 2014. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor, its promotional partners and their respective parents, affiliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same household of each such employee) are not eligible.
4. PRIZES: Ten (10) TFK Kid Reporters will be selected. Each winner may be asked to represent TIME For Kids in national and/or local media. They will report for TIME For Kids and TIME For Kids online from September 2014 to August 2015.
a. Twenty (20) finalists will be selected and notified in July 2014. Each of the finalists will be interviewed by phone and asked to submit video clips and a final assignment. Finalists will receive a certificate of recognition.
b. Ten (10) TFK Kid Reporters will be selected from the finalists based on evaluations of all entry materials. The finalists will be judged on poise, articulation and on-camera presence demonstrated in their video clips and interviews, and on the quality of their reported and written work. The 10 reporters will be announced in August 2014.
c. TFK Kid Reporters may be given assignments during the period of September 2014 to August 2015. Though TIME For Kids will try to give at least one assignment to each reporter, there is no guarantee that a reporter will be given any assignments. Article assignments will be distributed at the discretion of site and magazine editors. Articles will be edited and may be published in TIME For Kids magazine and/or on TIME For Kids online. Each reporter will be given a byline if his/her story is published.
d. Each reporter chosen will receive a TFK Kid Reporter T-shirt, press credential, reporter’s notebook, and letter of congratulations.
e. There will be no compensation for any stories filed for and/or published in TIME For Kids magazine and/or on TIME For Kids online. Preapproved expenses incurred while reporting a story will be reimbursed. All other expenses not specified herein are the responsibility of the Winner. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. The prize is awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind.
f. Each reporter agrees to have his/her name and likeness used in conjunction with the TFK Kid Reporter Team.
g. All materials, manuscripts, and articles will become the property of Time Inc.
5. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: No transfer, assignment, or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sponsor's sole discretion. Nothing in these official contest rules shall obligate Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Entrant represents that all entry materials submitted as part of Entrant's Contest entry are original and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such materials. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant's submitted entry, along with Entrant's name, likeness, biographical information and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner, and parent or legal guardian where the Potential Winner has not reached the age of majority in their state of residence at time of entry, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and where legally permissible, a Publicity Release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within 7 days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the entry materials submitted are original. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use Winner's name and/or likeness, biographical information, and entry materials for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants and Winners agree to hold Sponsor and its promotional partners, its directors, officers, employees and assigns harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury or loss to any person or property including death relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act, or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence that the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, Entrant or Winner to ridicule, scandal or contempt, or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after a Winner has received notice of the prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of the prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
6. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the State of New York without regard to principals of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of New York, without recourse to class action suits.
7. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
8. WINNER'S LIST: For names of Winner(s), available after August 31, 2014, send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope to Kid Reporter Results, TIME For Kids, 1271 Avenue of the Americas, 32nd Floor, New York, NY 10020. Or, log on to www.timeforkids.com/ tfk-kid-reporters after August 30, 2014, available for a period of 30 days.
9. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is TIME For Kids, 1271 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020.