Take a look at the year’s biggest events and newsmakers.
So much can happen in 366 days. A leap year, 2016 was filled with moments of joy, hope, triumph, disappointment, and tragedy.
Athletes thrilled us with their impressive skills and gave us reason to cheer. An American astronaut returned to Earth after a long stay in space and moved us closer to the goal of distant-space travel. Powerful forces of nature rocked nations and united us to offer help. And as one U.S. president entered his final days in office, the next president was chosen in an election season full of surprises.
Look back with TFK at some of the most memorable events of the past year.
JANUARY 12 President Barack Obama delivers his final STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS before a joint session of Congress.EVAN VUCCI—GETTY IMAGES
JANUARY 16 At the request of Governor Rick Snyder, President Obama declares a state of emergency in FLINT, MICHIGAN. The city’s drinking water became polluted with high levels of lead when the city switched its water source in 2014 as a way to cut costs.SARAH RICE—GETTY IMAGES
FEBRUARY 7 In SUPER BOWL 50, the Denver Broncos beat the Carolina Panthers 24–10. Peyton Manning becomes the first quarterback to steer two different teams to Super Bowl championships. He led the Indianapolis Colts in 2007. Manning retired on March 7.PATRICK SMITH—GETTY IMAGES
FEBRUARY 28 INSIDE OUT wins an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.DISNEY/PIXAR
MARCH 2 NASA astronaut Scott Kelly RETURNS TO EARTH after a year aboard the International Space Station.BILL INGALLS—NASA/GETTY IMAGES
MARCH 20 President Obama becomes the first U.S. president to VISIT CUBA in 88 years.CHIP SOMODEVILLA—GETTY IMAGES
APRIL 20 U.S. treasury secretary Jacob Lew announces that a new $20 BILL will feature abolitionist Harriet Tubman.MPI/GETTY IMAGE
MAY 9 The American bison becomes the official national mammal of the United States after President Obama signs the NATIONAL BISON LEGACY ACT into law. The move honors the animal’s role in history, especiallyin many Native American cultures.EASTCOTT & MOMATIUK—GETTY IMAGES
JUNE 19 The Cleveland Cavaliers win the 2016 NBA FINALS in Game 7. LeBron James takes the team to a 93–89 victory against the Golden State Warriors.JOHN G. MABANGLO—EUROPEAN PRESSPHOTO AGENCY/AP
JUNE 23 The United Kingdom votes to LEAVE THE EUROPEAN UNION (E.U.). The votes were 52% in favor of leaving and 48% against. Currently, the E.U. is an economic partnership of 28 European nations.KYODO NEWS/GETTY IMAGES
JULY 21 At the REPUBLICAN CONVENTION, in Cleveland, Ohio, Donald Trump accepts the nomination for president, with Indiana governor Mike Pence as his running mate.JOHN MOORE—GETTY IMAGES
JULY 28 At the DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Hillary Clinton becomes the first woman presidential nominee for a major party. Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia is her running mate.PAUL MORIGI—WIREIMAGE/GETTY IMAGES
AUGUST 5 2016 SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES begin in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The U.S. dominates the Games, bringing home 121 medals, 46 of them gold. U.S. women gymnasts come away with seven medals.JULIO CORTEZ—AP
SEPTEMBER 2 The orbiting Rosetta probe sends an image of the PHILAE LANDER, missing since 2014 after landing on a comet. The lander is wedged in a dark crack in the comet’s surface.ESA/ROSETTA/MPS FOR OSIRIS/AP
OCTOBER 26, 30 Three EARTHQUAKES rock Italy within days of each other. Two quakes occur back-to-back on October 26. The third, on October 30, measures 6.6 magnitude. It is the most powerful quake to hit Italy in 30 years.MASSIMO PERCOSSI—ANSA/AP
NOVEMBER 2 The Chicago Cubs defeat the Cleveland Indians in Game 7 of the WORLD SERIES, in Cleveland, Ohio. The victory ends a 108-year championship drought for the Cubs.IAN JOHNSON—ICON SPORTSWIRE/AP
November 8 In a surprise upset, Donald Trump defeats Hillary Clinton and is ELECTED the 45th president of the United States.CHELSEA MATIASH FOR TIME
December 7 From December 1 to 11, ceremonies are held in Hawaii. They honor victims, survivors, and veterans on the 75th anniversary of the Japanese surprise attack on the U.S. naval base at PEARL HARBOR, on December 7, 1941. It forced the U.S. to enter World War II.PETTY OFFICER 2ND CLASS GABRIELLE JOYNER—US NAVY