Effective Date: June 8, 2021
- Note to Parents and Teachers about Our Data Collection from Kids
TFK is a teaching tool designed for teachers and their students, and parents and their children. TFK offers news and editorial content tailored to specific age ranges, companion materials such as quizzes and teaching aides, and the ability to take advantage of TFK’s partnerships with other companies that offer educational content for children. Parents and teachers create accounts with TFK to access these materials and may distribute them to students or children using the links that TFK provides and/or Google Classroom (teachers must have their own accounts with Google Classroom to take advantage of this integration). Parents and teachers can access their accounts here.
We have taken numerous steps to minimize our our data collection:
- TFK does not collect any information that personally identifies students or children, such as name. Nor are we capable of identifying students or children based on the information we do receive. Furthermore, the TFK website does not use third-party integrations, tracking technologies, or cookies that collect information to deliver personalized advertising. The only exception is if a parent voluntarily provides their child’s name when subscribing to the Services.
- The TFK website uses Google Analytics to collect information about how users interact with the website. Having this information is important because it allows TFK to understand what works (or doesn’t) on the website. Google Analytics collects device identifiers, and if a child visits the TFK website on their own device or is given a device by a teacher or parent (for example, to read an article assigned by a teacher), Google Analytics will collect information about that device and how the user interacts with the website. The device identifiers Google Analytics collects do not personally identify children, and TFK does not use them as “persistent identifiers” capable of tracking a user across the internet.
- TFK makes its teaching aides and other resources available to parents and teachers as downloadable files or links to Google Forms. Teachers with Google Classroom accounts have the option to send a teaching aide to their Google Classroom account. In no event does TFK collect information about a student or child from these teaching aides, Google Forms, or the Google Classroom integration. Parents and teachers should consult Google’s privacy notices for more information about how Google may collect information from them.
- TFK may give parents and teachers the opportunity to use other companies’ services via links on the TFK website. While TFK offers links to those services, TFK does not collect any information from them about students or children
The Services do not display advertising or collect information to display targeted advertising on third-party websites or apps.
- Collection of Personal Data
We collect personal data, which is any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual, in the following circumstances:
Information you give us about yourself and others: We collect information that you give us about yourself or others directly, including personal identifiers, such as name and other contact details; commercial information such as payment details and order history; and audio information if you contact us via telephone for customer service purposes. You give information to us directly when, for example, you register for the Services.
You may give us personal information about other people, for example, when you fill out an order form and provide teacher names or sign up a friend for a gift subscription. Please ensure you have others’ permission to give us their personal information. The types of personal information that we may collect in this context include recipient’s name, address, e-mail address and telephone number. Please ensure that you notify the person whose information you are providing to us.
We use Google Analytics for these purposes. Google Analytics uses its own cookies. These cookies are only used to improve how our Services works. You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here. You can prevent the use of Google Analytics relating to your use of our Services by downloading and installing the browser plugin available here.
TFK does not use third parties to collect information for advertising purposes.
Please note that some of the information we request from you is required in order for you to use our Services. If you do not wish to provide such information to us, you are not obligated to, but as a result you may not be able to use the particular Service. However, some of the information we request from you is optional. This means that you can elect not to provide it to us and you will still be able to use the Service. If not all the information we request on a form is required, we may identify the required information to you such as by displaying an asterisk (*) next to the field where we request the required information.
Please be aware that, consistent with our note to parents and teachers above, TFK only uses Strictly Necessary, Functionality, and a limited number of Performance/Analytics technologies on the child-directed parts of TFK, not Programmatic Advertising technologies.
More information about the types of cookies and tracking technologies that our partners use is available in our Cookies Policy.
Some of the information we request from you is required in order for you to use our Services. If you do not wish to provide such information to us, you are not obligated to, but as a result you may not be able to use the particular Service. However, some of the information we request from you is optional. This means that you can elect not to provide it to us and you will still be able to use the Service. If not all the information we request on a form is required, we may identify the required information to you such as by displaying an asterisk (*) next to the field where we request the required information.
- Personal Data We Obtain from Other Sources:
- How We Use the Personal Data We Collect:
Our primary goal in collecting information is to provide you with a customized experience when using our Services and to make them more valuable to you.
We, and our authorized service providers, use personal data to enable us to provide, operate and improve our Services to you and for other legitimate business interests, including to:
Provide the Services:
- Deliver the Services.
- Establish and administer your account, including conducting billing and invoicing, contacting you about the expiry of your subscription and sending you service messages about your subscription. For example, once you are subscribed, we may store your subscription information, including its start date, renewal date, pricing, publication, and any customer service contacts you may have with us.
- Authenticate access to your account. For example, you may provide us with a username and password to get access to your account.
- Perform maintenance and operations, including management of the network and devices supporting the Services and our systems.
- Provide technical support and assure quality of customer service interactions.
- Facilitate hardware and software upgrades for devices and systems.
- Enable your participation in surveys, sweepstakes, contests, and promotions.
Communicate with You:
- Respond to your inquiries.
- Personalize communications.
- Send you service-related announcements, such as when we make changes to subscriber agreements, or to contact you about your account.
- Market our Services, such as by offering you products, programs or services that may be of interest to you, and keeping you informed of new happenings at TFK
Make Improvements to Our Products and Services:
- Show you ads about TFK on third-party websites and apps.
- Identify and develop new products and services.
- Improve the design of our Services.
- Understand how our Services are used, including by creating measurement and analytics reports.
Investigate Theft or Other Illegal Activities and Ensure a Secure Online Environment:
- Detect the unauthorized use or abuse of the Services.
- Protect you and other subscribers from fraudulent, abusive, unlawful use of, or subscription to, the Services.
- Protect our rights, our personnel, and our property.
- Comply with applicable law.
The Services do not display advertising or collect information to display targeted advertising on third-party websites or apps.
- Disclosure of Personal Data
Publicly: If you choose to submit content (e.g., a “letter to the editor” or a comment or other submission on our social media pages), and you give us your consent, we may publish your name, screen name and the information you provided to us, which will be public. TFK’s website does not have community forums or other features that enabled user-generated submissions, and there are no means by which children can publicly post content.
Sale or Merger of Business: It is possible that all or part of TFK or its affiliates could merge with or be acquired by another business or undergo a corporate change or dissolution such as a reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets, or wind down of business. If this happens, or in connection with discussions of such event, we may share the information that relates to you.
Legal: We may be required to provide your personal data in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement or contravention of law, or as otherwise required by law. We may also disclose personal data to assist us in collecting a debt owed by you, where necessary for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims, to protect the rights, property, or safety of us or third parties, or to enforce our terms.
TFK does not sell or rent the personal data it collects on the Services.
- Legal Basis for Processing
In some jurisdictions, like the United Kingdom and European Union, we must have a legal basis to collect, use and share your personal data. If you are located in the United Kingdom or European Union, we process your personal data on the basis of:
Performance of a contract: including when we fulfill your requests for products, services and information.
Our legitimate interests: including when we send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages, analyze your interactions with our Services, conduct market or audience analysis and related reporting, improve our Services, provide you with special offers, promotions and information from companies within our corporate family and from select third parties, tailor advertising to your interests, and use your personal data to prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities on our Services.
Your consent: including when we ask for your consent to process your personal data for a specific purpose that we communicate to you or, where applicable, to send you marketing, promotions and special offers.
Compliance with a legal obligation: including when we use your personal data to comply with applicable laws and enforce our terms.
- Third Party Websites
Our Services provide links to third party websites or offerings where data privacy practices may be different to that of Time. The inclusion of any link does not imply our endorsement of any other company, its websites, or its products and/or services. These linked websites or offerings have separate and independent privacy policies, which we recommend you read carefully. We have no control over such websites or offerings and therefore have no responsibility or liability for the manner in which the organizations that operate such linked websites or offerings may collect, use, disclose, or otherwise treat your personal data.
- Your Opt-Out Choices
(a) Promotional Emails
You can remove yourself from our promotional postal mailings by emailing us at email@example.com or by contacting us as described in the How to Contact Us section below. You can remove yourself from the future sharing of your contact information with third parties by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also remove yourself by contacting us as described in the How to Contact Us section below
The TFK website uses Google Analytics to collect information about how users interact with the website. Google Analytics collects device identifiers, and if a child (or other user) visits the TFK website on their own device or is given a device by a teacher or parent (for example, to read an article assigned by a teacher), Google Analytics will collect information about that device and how the user interacts with the website. The device identifiers Google Analytics collects do not directly identify children. We need this information to understand what works (or doesn’t) on the website.For information about Google Analytics’ privacy practices, click here and for your related opt-out choices, click here.
(c) Accessing, Correcting, and Deleting Your Personal Data
Time provides you with the ability to access and edit certain information that you have provided to us through our Services. If you are a print subscriber located in Australia or New Zealand, you can access and edit your information by clicking here. If you are a print subscriber located in the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Lichtenstein or Iceland, you can access and edit your information by clicking here or by emailing us at email@example.com Data subjects located in Europe have additional rights as set forth in the “Data Subject Requests” section below.
(d) Data Subject Requests
If you are located in the European Union, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Norway, Lichtenstein or Iceland, you have certain rights under applicable data protection laws. For instance, you have the right to access, rectify, or erase any personal data we have collected about you through the Services. You also have the right to data portability and the right to restrict or object to our processing of personal data we have collected about you through the Services.
We encourage you to review, update, and correct the personal data that we maintain about you, and you may exercise any of your rights by completing the form available here. Please specify in your message to us which right you intend to exercise. We will respond to your request within 30 days. We may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details before we are able to provide you with any information, correct any inaccuracies, delete any information, or honor your other rights. Your rights may be limited, subject to the law of your jurisdiction or as necessary for our legitimate interests to process the personal data. Your rights are subject to our records retention policies and applicable law, including any statutory retention requirements.
If you have any issues with our compliance, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a European supervisory authority.
- Data Controller
European data protection law makes a distinction between organizations that process personal data for their own purposes (known as “controllers”) and organizations that process personal data on behalf of other organizations (known as “processors”).
If you are located in the European Union, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Norway, Lichtenstein or Iceland, the controller of your personal data is Time Magazine UK Limited, located at Suite 1, 3rd Floor 11 - 12 St. James's Square, London, United Kingdom, SW1Y 4LB. Please be aware that if you register or sign-up to receive services offered by Time USA, LLC, then the primary controller of your personal data will be Time USA, LLC, located at 1095 Sixth Avenue, New York, NY 10036, United States.
- International Transfers
- Security of Personal Data
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards in an effort to protect against unauthorized access, use, loss, modification, disclosure, and any form of unlawful processing of personal data in our custody and control, and our service providers are bound to maintain similar safeguards. These measures also aim at preventing unnecessary collection and further processing of personal data. Although we take appropriate measures to safeguard the personal data in our custody and control, and we require similar safeguarding measures from our service providers, we need you to understand that we are unable to guarantee the security of your personal data.
To provide you with an increased level of security online, access to your personal data on certain of our websites may be protected with a password you select. We strongly recommend that you do not disclose your password to anyone. We will never ask you for your password in any unsolicited communication.
- Retention of Personal Data
We will take reasonable steps to accurately record the personal data that you provide to us and any subsequent updates. We will retain your personal data as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. Thereafter, we will either delete your personal data or de-identify it so that it cannot be attributed to your identity. Please note that we may continue to retain personal data for purposes of our legitimate interests, including as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, prevent fraud, and enforce our agreements. Data subjects located in Europe have the right to request that we delete their personal data as set forth in the “Data Subject Requests” section above.
- How to Contact Us
Time Magazine UK Limited
Attn: Privacy Officer
Suite 1, 3rd Floor
11 - 12 St. James's Square
London, United Kingdom, SW1Y 4LB