How Cities Work
November 30, 2018
Cities are packed with people. There is action all around—from street level to high in the sky and deep underground. In cities, people live, work, and play close together. Read on to learn more about city life.
1. Planes and helicopters fly above this city. Air traffic controllers keep an eye on the sky. They communicate with aircraft by radio. They tell pilots where it is safe to fly.
2. Skyscrapers are major space savers. People live and work in them. These high-rise buildings are often more than 40 stories tall.
3. Nature can take root in unexpected places. Fresh fruits and vegetables grow on rooftop farms. Rooftop gardens and parks help make cities green. Plants and trees help clean the air.
4. Subways are trains that move people around a city quickly. They can travel underground and above the street.
5. Some people drive their own vehicles on city streets. Some ride bikes. Others take taxis or buses. Sharing rides is better for the environment.
People are building a new kind of city. This type of city will not be on land. It will float in the ocean. The first floating city will be in French Polynesia. That’s an island in the South Pacific Ocean.…