Skip to main content

Community

People

Proud to Be Purple

March 22, 2019

Alaysia Thomas is 16. She went to sleepaway camp for the first time last summer. At camp, she rode horses. She also went canoeing. But her favorite thing was talking with other campers. “I made great friendships,” she told TIME…

Audio
Spanish

Engineering

Engineering Our World

February 22, 2019

“We’re called civil engineers because we engineer civilization.” These are the words of Yung Koprowski. She’s one of the many civil engineers who create and maintain the infrastructure of our towns and cities. Each type of civil engineer contributes to…

Audio
Spanish

Culture

Maker Moment

February 15, 2019

Last year, Izzy Goldstein, 12, learned that we can reduce air pollution by using natural energy sources, such as wind and solar power, instead of gasoline. This made her wonder what she could do to help the environment. “I thought,…

Audio
Spanish

People

8 Questions for Evan Barnard

February 14, 2019

When he was a kid, Evan Barnard, now 19, learned that someone had damaged a Braille nature trail. People who are blind or have low vision use these trails to explore nature. Barnard helped fix the trail. Then he created…

People

8 Questions for Francesca Di Cristofano

December 6, 2018

Last spring, a local newspaper in Pelham, New York, shut down. A group of students decided to start their own news site, Pelham Examiner. TFK’s Brian S. McGrath spoke with the managing editor, Francesca Di Cristofano, about the challenges and…

Young Game Changers

Water Run

December 4, 2018

Addyson Moffitt is an 8-year-old from Kansas City, Missouri. Maurine Chelagat is a 9-year-old from a village in Kenya called Bartabwa. It might not seem as if the girls have much in common. But when they met at a dinner…

People

Show Respect, Model Kindness

November 2, 2018

Understanding and inclusion start with you. TFK talked with CARYL M. STERN, president and CEO of UNICEF U.S.A. and coauthor of a book called Hate Hurts. Here’s her advice on how to handle hurtful comments and find common ground. Be…

People

Share Your Feelings

November 2, 2018

If something in the news makes you feel worried or upset, what should you do? TFK asked an expert, DR. HAROLD KOPLEWICZ, president of the Child Mind Institute. Here, he offers some advice. I hear people talking about the news.…

Culture

A Promising Start

October 12, 2018

There’s a new public school in Akron, Ohio. Teachers greeted students on opening day with cheers and big smiles. But no one had a bigger grin than basketball hero LeBron James. “This is a huge moment in my life,” James…

People

Bye to Bullying

September 21, 2018

Stomp Out Bullying kick-starts National Bullying Prevention Month in October. This year, the group has declared October 1 World Day of Bullying Prevention. On this day, schools around the world unite to end bullying. Students and teachers wear blue to…